Saturday, October 14, 2006

There and Back Again

Well, it has been some time now since I took off and returned from my first masters course. I just haven't felt all that inspired to write, but I'll put up a brief account here, at any rate, while I procrastinate from further apartment cleaning.

I left Saskatoon early on Sunday, Sept. 17 (plane flew out at 6:00 a.m.) for Sudbury, with a brief stopover in Toronto. I arrived in Sudbury early afternoon, and got a shuttle bus to the bed & breakfast I was staying at. The Sudbury airport is really far away from the city, it was something like a 40 minute drive from the airport to where I was staying, which is quite a bit for a city of 130,000 or so.

The bed & breakfast, Sudbury South Suites, is just breathtaking. It's run by a husband and wife, and they're both very friendly and helpful. I originally planned on staying there for a week, but then I found out that most of that week I would actually be in Quebec, so it ended up just being two nights. They were very understanding about the changes, and I've already booked a room for December (although I may end up having a place to stay with one of the other students, in which case I'll regrettably have to cancel again).



The B&B has five rooms available, I stayed in the Kimono Room. It is possibly the nicest room I'm stayed in.



After I got settled in at the B&B, I figured I'd walk down to the university to get the lay of the land. I've since learned there is a shorter route to get there, but I took the simplest one given my unfamiliarity with Sudbury, and it ended up being about a 75 minute walk each way. Note to self: hiking boots are excellent for walking over rough terrain. They suck for walking over pavement. My heels were sure feeling it the next day.

The next morning, I managed to get myself and my luggage to the university via the bus system. We had a lecture for a few hours, going over some of the things we would be seeing in the course, and then left for Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec around 3:00 p.m.

We arrived in Rouyn-Noranda that evening, and stayed in a hotel which the instructor, Harold, has been staying at during his visits for the last twenty years or more. Not a bad place, but the restaurant was slow and a little pricey, and there is very little around for other options. If I were to go there again, I certainly would pick a different hotel.

I think I'm going to have to split this up into a few posts. I'll continue with adventures in Quebec later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home