Sunday, January 01, 2012

New Year, New Goals

Hello all, and happy New Year!

I was a delinquent blogger in 2011, and that is unlikely to change much in the new year. With a one month old daughter (welcome Alexa!), and other interests and responsibilities, regular blog entries about my life are not a big priority.

However, I do intend to use this space to track progress of a goal - I intend to run 2,012 km in 2012. I consider this an achievable, if not particularly ambitious, goal. After completing the Saskatchewan Marathon and winning a local 10 km road race in 2010, my running in 2011 was infrequent. So, I'd like to get back into it.

Thanks to the Garmin Forerunner GPS watch I got for my birthday, I can (reasonably) accurately track how much I've run. Today I did just over 8 km, averaging just under five minutes per kilometre. I'll spend a couple of weeks doing runs of 6 to 10 km per day, five times per week, while I get back into shape, and then start introducing interval training, hill training and longer runs into my routine. I fully expect there to be times (notably when I'm in the field) when I will not be able to run, but I'll try to post up my weekly totals here to keep me motivated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

That is a clever goal, and I think Chris would have a lot of fun with your watch. (He just got a Garmin GPS for Christmas and he thinks it's neat.) I'm glad to see you blogging again.

12:26 a.m.  
Blogger Matt said...

Hi Maryanne. Evidently I don't spend enough time looking at this blog, since I am only seeing your comment now.

I've been meaning to get in touch and see how things are going, perhaps I'll try to call next weekend.

3:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home