Monday, June 18, 2012

My First Father's Day (As a Father)

I haven't posted recently, because I didn't feel very motivated to write about my lack of activity. When last I posted, we were at the tail end of our trip. We wrapped up our stay in Regina, flew to Ottawa and stayed for a few days with Christine's aunt and uncle. I got out for one 14 km run during this week (on Wednesday, May 30), and the next day came down with the same illness Christine and Alexa caught. We flew home on Friday, June 1, and hosted a couple who were up for the opening of the cathedral in Iqaluit on June 3.

I was asked to be an usher and assist with collection at the opening, which was an honour, but it was also busy as the cathedral opening was very well attended and there was a lack of organization. The cathedral itself filled up quickly, with more than 400 people inside, and the ceremony was also shown in the parish hall, where another 150-200 people were seated in overflow. The ceremony was nice, and the cathedral looks great inside. We have since had two services in there, with increased attendance over what we typically got when we were worshiping in the parish hall - there have been 50 or so people, as compared to 30 or so on average previously.

The illness (cold/flu/whatever it is) hit hard after that, and I spent the last two days of my holiday in bed before returning to work on June 6. I didn't run at all during week 23 (June 3-9), and tried for a run during week 24 (June 10-16) on June 11, but only got 500 m out before I turned back because I was coughing so much. Yesterday was the first time I managed to get out for a successful run, doing 8.5 km. My surplus I was so proud of has now been whittled down to a mere 1.7 km, and I only have three weeks (maybe less) until I begin traveling for the summer. I'll see how much I can do before then, and will have to try to make up the difference later in the summer or into autumn.

Yesterday I had a nice day, my first father's day as a father. Christine got me a present on behalf of Alexa (a season of Chuck, a bag of Wine Gums, and a neat six sided die carved out of stone, bought locally at the museum here), and we spent a good portion of the day together, between giving Alexa breakfast (she's started on cereals now), attending church together, hosting coffee after church, and then staying close to home the rest of the day. Christine also made a nice supper and a cake. It was a good day.

Well, I'll see what this week brings when it comes to running. If I can, I'll start bringing the surplus back up a bit. The Atii Fitness run is scheduled for July 7 (and I'm scheduled to leave Iqaluit on July 8 for two weeks), so I'm hoping to compete in that. Time to go get ready for work.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

That sounds like a lovely Father's Day. And I'm so excited that you're watching Chuck! (Also: Harvey was on TCM last night, and I'd forgotten how extremely pleasant of a movie that is. I need to force Chris to watch it sometime.)

Glad that you didn't use up all of your surplus, and here's hoping you can build up some more before you go out to the field!

2:32 p.m.  
Blogger Matt said...

Thanks Maryanne! Hope things are going well for you and Chris!

4:50 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home