Monday, June 25, 2012

Week 25: Alexa is adorable

Well, I managed to get back running this week. I ran 8.5 km Sunday, 10.75 km Monday and 9.5 km Tuesday, all at an average pace between 4:33 and 4:35 minute/km. My run on Wednesday was cut short because my right foot and leg were giving me some problems, so I only did a little over 3 km. I figured maybe four days in a row was too much after two and a half weeks of not running, so I rested on Thursday and Friday, and got in 10 km on Saturday. The run on Saturday included a (modified) 5 km time trial; it went well for the 2.5 km, but then I turned around and was running into the wind, and had to stop at around 3 km for a coughing fit/break. I really would like to kick this cold/flu/whatever I have, it's coming up on a month.

I'm still hopeful I can put in a good showing at the Atii 10 km race, but it would be a lot easier to do if I was healthy.

My total for the week is 42.06 km at an average pace of 4:33, and my overall total sits at 967.79 km for the year. My surplus still sits at a rather paltry 5.3 km, but you do what you can.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah, blah running. My daughter is adorable. Alexa learned two new words this week: "Dada" (or more often dadadadada) and "cat". She yells out "Dadadadada" when she wants to see me, and it's pretty cute. Apparently she yelled it out in church yesterday, but I wasn't around to hear it because I was in a predator defense course. She learned "cat" on Saturday. Christine had brought her to lie in bed with us, and we were discussing Alexa's expanding vocabulary (in chronological order: hi, mom/mommy, yummy, dad/dada) and we agreed the next word she should learn is cat. Hearing us, Alexa promptly copied us and said "cat" twice. It's really neat to see her develop.

The course I mentioned is designed to prepare the participants for encounters and attacks by predators we might encounter while working in the field (bears, wolves, etc.). There is a focus on non-lethal deterrents, but we are also being familiarized with shotguns - we spend today at Iqaluit's shooting range (which is basically a large open space away from the city). I didn't get in a run yesterday because the course took up much of my day, and then I just wasn't feeling up to it in the evening.

Edit: I completely forgot one of the reasons that Alexa is adorable. Our friend Alia had us over for supper on Friday. While we were over there and two of them were playing, Alexa held out her teething ring to Alia. She kept trying to give it to Alia, and when she wouldn't take it, Alexa opened her mouth to show Alia what she was supposed to do (just like we do sometimes when feeding Alexa). Alexa got really frustrated that Alia didn't seem to know what to do. It was super cute.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

Dear goodness, that child of yours is adorable. I'm going to have to make Chris read this post when he gets home from school.

I am glad that I do not live in a place where I need to learn how to defend myself against predators.

9:54 a.m.  
Blogger Chris said...

I on the other hand am kind of jealous that I don't need to take a course like that. It sounds exciting.

2:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home