Wednesday, April 19, 2006

On Running - A Minor Rant

On a number of occasions of late, someone has learned of my running, and subsequently referred to it as 'jogging'. Naturally, I protest the use of this term to describe my sport. I don't 'jog', I 'run'; there's a difference, to me anyway.

I began running seriously at age 16, and as of this coming September will have been at it for a decade. I competed for my university track team for five years. I have, as a conservative estimate, run in the range of 25-30,000 km, and that number may be low. I have put thousands of hours into my sport.

In my mind, 'jogging' is what casual runners who are trying to get into shape do. 'Running' is something that requires effort, that takes you out of your comfort zone, and is fast; what constitutes 'fast' is a matter for debate, but even my resting pace at ~12 kph is faster than many people can do.

Please don't mistake this for arrogance on my part. I don't think of myself as being a great runner. I know, and am friends with, people who have competed on a national or international level; I can do respectably at local road races and such, but I can't aspire to that level of performance.

Up until I began my job, it was unusual if I wasn't running six to seven days a week. Now, with the amount of time I'm away for field work, I find it hard to stay in the same level of fitness, but when I'm back in the same city I'm still at it everyday. When someone calls me a 'jogger', it seems a diminishment of all the hard work I've put in, and of all the sacrifices I have made for my sport.

To sum up: please don't call me a jogger; I'm not. I'm a runner.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bronwyn said...

Poor Matt, I know you work way to hard at running to be considered a jogger. However, now that I know it bothers you?? I may let it "slip" now and then.

12:51 p.m.  
Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

I've gone running with you. I would never make the mistake of calling you a "jogger." I'm a jogger at best.

11:41 p.m.  
Blogger Matt said...

Well, these people have never been out running with me...they've just heard that I go running/jogging, and jumped to conclusions. They must be using a 'jump to conclusions' mat or something. Yay silly movie references!

P.S. Julia, if you read this, I haven't seen you in forever and a day. We need to get together sometime.

7:11 a.m.  
Blogger Bronwyn said...

I went running with Matt once. I last 9 minutes, got a cramp and had to go home. It was... humbling. And sucky! And I will never do it again.

8:58 p.m.  
Blogger Matt said...

Actually, every person that has commented on this post has been running with me at some time or another. I think Julia wins for lasting the longest. Yay Julia! Oh, and if you read this again...the e-mail address I have for you doesn't work. Please get my contact info from a mutual friend, and get in touch!

Oh, and Bron, you did pretty well on that run, cramps happen sometimes when you're starting out. Heck, I get them sometimes when I'm just getting back into it after a stint in the field. I think it's great the lifestyle changes you've made to get in better shape and such.

10:52 p.m.  
Blogger Bronwyn said...

Yay for me! Trying not to be fat!

9:41 p.m.  
Blogger arimich said...

I just remember joking about stealing your water bottle in university, and then being afraid that you would get me. And yep, jogging is not the term I would have chosen to describe your activity. Anyone who says that "pain is weakness leaving the body" is not a jogger.

11:24 p.m.  
Blogger Shannon said...

I have never been running with you I don't think but I do remember when my dad found out you were a runner and the two of you went at camp. He cornered me later that night and said "Why didn't you tell me?" Apparently you were a bit on the fast side for him. He is in good shape but he is also not in his 20s anymore.

Having a dad who runs means of course I would know not to ever use the term "jog" unless I wanted dad to burn my dinner in anger. But I am guessing that one of the use-of-the-word-jog incidents you made reference to was in my presence last week. I am sorry that I did not prepare him and explain the difference between jogging and running. Slap on the hand for Shannon.

7:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home