Saturday, January 28, 2012

Week 4: Goal achieved, almost back in the black

This week the cold and dark was really starting to get to me on my runs. I wasn't feeling very motivated, but nonetheless made sure I got out for at least 8 km each time.

Breakdown by day:
Sunday - another blizzard, which kept me indoors.
Monday - 8.32 km at 5:09 min/km pace.
Tuesday - 8.03 km at 5:06 min/km pace.
Wednesday - stayed in to help out with Alexa as Christine wasn't feeling well.
Thursday - 8.09 km at 5:12 min/km pace. This was a nasty night, -47 with wind, that kept me close to home. The wind was so bad I ended up doing ~1.5 km laps in my immediate neighbourhood. I also had problems with one of the traction devices I wear on my shoes, the one on my left foot slipped off four times - I ended up swapping which shoe they were on, which seems to be helping, but I really didn't like having to stop repeatedly to pick it up, and put it back on.
Friday - 8.64 km at 5:08 min/km pace.
Saturday - 9.00 km at 4:52 min/km pace. I really enjoyed my run today, because it was in daylight! This is only the third time in 2012 I haven't been running in the dark. It's also my quickest run yet this year. It's not exactly a screaming pace, but it's not bad either for -31 C and being bundled up in three layers pretty well head to toe.

Total kilometres for the week is 42.08 km, which leaves me only 0.54 km in the red. Overall I've run 153.46 km since January 1. I'm hoping the forecast for the next two days is accurate, since it's predicting temperatures warmer than -20 C. That will be a real treat, especially since it's supposed to get colder again after that.

If I can find time, I'm hoping to do six runs this coming week, and perhaps the week after as well. I'm off to Cambridge Bay for the Kitikmeot Trade Show the week of Feb. 13 to 17, during which time I may not have many chances to run, so I'll need to start banking up a few extra kilometres.

Alexa continues to grow, 10 lbs. 15 oz. as of last Wednesday, and is learning quickly. She has started mimicking Mom and Dad - if you stick your tongue out at her, she does it right back, and if one of us lies on the floor next to her and raises our arms or legs, she does her best to do the same. It's pretty cute. Earlier today she managed to roll from her back to her side, which is also good progress.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

Good progress both for you and Alexa! I'm seriously impressed that at the progress you made this week, considering the obstacles you faced.

(And the Alexa mimicking story made me smile a lot.)

10:28 p.m.  
Blogger Matt said...

Thanks Maryanne!

5:52 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home