Monday, December 31, 2012

Weeks 48 through 52: Goal completed! Happy New Years!

I have completed my 2012 running resolution. Since last posting, I ran 38.6 km during week 48, 50.4 km during week 49, 50.2 km during week 50 and 62.8 km during week 51. My final run of the year was on December 22, when I completed 16 km to bring my total for the year to 2012.17.


I have been keeping track of my progress in a spreadsheet, that allows me to share some statistics about my running. In 2012:
  • There were 198 days that I ran, all but one of which was outside.
  • Total time spent running in 2012 was approximately 162.5 hours, or about six hours short of a week.
  • My average pace for the year was 4 minutes and 50 seconds per kilometre, or just shy of 12.5 km/hour. 
  • Highest kilometres in a week was 62.8 km in week 51 and in a month was 218.3 km in October.
  • Lowest was 0 km in weeks 23, 28 and 29 and 68.0 km in July.
  • Fastest run was on September 26 (in Toronto) when I completed 14.68 km at an average pace of 4:04 minute/km.
  • Slowest run was a 4 km cool-down at 5:35 minute/km after my race on July 7; slowest actual run was on February 21, 13.1 km at 5:21 minute/km (I think that was a cold one).
If I can figure out how, I will also post a shot of some of running tracks. Unfortunately, the watch only had so much storage and I was lax about uploading it to the computer, so I only have the last month or so.

Although not really the point of the goal, I also lost some weight. I used the Wii Fit to record my starting and final weight. I went from 71.8 kg (158 lbs.) on January 8 to 63.4 kg (139.5 lbs.) on December 22. As I've been taking a break from running in the intervening period and eating Christmas treats, I have no doubt gained back a few pounds, but that's okay too.

I will not be setting a similar running goal in 2013. This doesn't mean that I'm going to stop running, but just that I'm going to approach it in a more reasonable manner, so that I don't feel obliged to run when it's -45° C outside. I'm hoping to do three runs per week, including one hill or interval workout and one longer run, but if I miss some, I'm not going to sweat it too much.

Thank you for all those who have supported me in the course of this goal. It's been hard going at times, and I really miss having people to run with, but there are few crazy people in Iqaluit (well, at least the right sort of crazy) willing to run outside year round.

On to other subjects:
We've enjoyed a very nice Christmas here. My aunt Eileen has been here visiting, it's really nice having family with us for the holidays. Alexa had a good Christmas, and received far too many presents. I realize it's been some time since I've been in touch with many of my friends scattered around the country, and will make an effort to rectify that in the New Year. Happy New Year everyone!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Elaine C said...

Congratulations and Happy New Year to you and your family!

12:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home